ROUGHAM, 8 miles N. of Swaffham, is a parish and well built pleasant village, comprising 74 houses, 374 souls, and 2,700 acres of land, in four farms, all belonging to Fredk. North, Esq., of Hastings Lodge, who is about to erect a handsome mansion here. The Norths were formerly seated here in a commodious Hall, of which no remains are now left; but the grounds, studded with fine timber, still retain a park-like appearance. Of this family was the eminent Lord Chief Justice North. In 1848, sixty-three fine elm, ash, and oak trees were destroyed on this estate by the high winds. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, has several monuments and brasses, and over the west door a piece of antique sculpture. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £1 8s. 6½ d., and in 1831 at £206, was augmented with £600 Queen Anne's bounty, about a century ago. The patronage is in the Crown, and the Rev. John Overton is the incumbent. A handsome clock, with three dials, the gift of Miss North, was put up in the tower in 1851. A school is supported by Mr. North, who also intends building a new school. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here.
Post Office at Mr. Wm. Morcom Thomas' : letters arrive at 7 a.m. and are despatched at 7 p.m. This is also a Money Order Office.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Rougham postmill and Hall Mill postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Rougham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Rougham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page