Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Erpingham union
North Erpingham hundred
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Roughton (early) postmill, Chapel road towermill , Mill Hill early postmill, later postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Roughton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Roughton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Roughton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 401

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

ROUGHTON, a parish and village, 6½ miles N. by E. of Aylsham, comprises 106 houses, 412 souls, and 1,740 acres of land, including 371a. of open heath, on which the parishioners cut fuel. The principal owners are Lord Suffield and W. H. Windham, Esq., but Mr. Robt. B. Joy has an estate here of about 70a.; Lord Suffield is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and has a round tower. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6, and has 29a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £96, awarded in lieu of small tithes. The great tithes were commuted in 1839, for £197. The Bishop of Norwich is patron of the living ; the Rev. Fleetwood Churchill, incumbent ; and the Rev. Richd. H. Gwyn, B.A., officiating curate. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The Free School was founded by the Rev. Robt. Brown, in 1694, and the master teaches, as free scholars, all the children of the parish sent to him, for which he has the use of about 50 acres of land, and a good dwelling-house. Since his appointment, in 1827, he has laid out nearly £300 in repairing the premises. The lord of the manor, the churchwardens, and overseers are the trustees. The poor have £6 6s. yearly from 7a. 1r. 4p. of land, purchased with £65, left by the Rev. Robt. Brown, in 1694, and two annuities of 40s. left by My. Hogan and M. Tenaut. The parish clerk has also an acre of land left by the Rev. Robt. Brown.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Erpingham union
North Erpingham hundred
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Roughton (early) postmill, Chapel road towermill , Mill Hill early postmill, later postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Roughton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Roughton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]