1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Roydon Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Roydon [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Roydon

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 478.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ROYDON (near Lynn) is a village and parish, 6 miles east-north-east from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a small and handsome rubble structure in the Norman style, with square embattled tower, and has chancel, nave and two Norman arches and 1 bell: it was restored by the late E. Street esq R.A. and has four stained windows. The register dates from the year 1729. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Castle Rising, joint gross yealy value £419, in the gift of the trustees of the late Hon. G. P. Howard and held since 1846 by the Rev. Charles Walter Bagot M.A. and formerly fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, who resides at Castle Rising. The Rev. James Russell Milne M.A. Edinburgh is curate in charge. The manor belongs to the trustees of the late Hon. Greville Theophilus Howard, who are also the principal landowners. The soil is mixed sand and clay; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and clover. The area is 871 acres; rateable value, £83; the population in 1881 was 186.



Letters through Lynn, viā Hillington. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hillington

National School, Mrs. Emma Orviss, mistess

Railway Station (Grimstone road), Henry Osbore, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Roydon Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Roydon [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page