ROYDON, a village on the south side of the Waveney, 1½ miles W. of Diss, has 124 houses, 588 souls, and 1,194a. 1r. 15 p. of land, in the manors of Roydon Tufts, and Gissing Hall. Philip Dykes is lord of the former, and Geo. Edwd. Frere, Esq. of the latter, and owner of Roydon Hall, an elegant mansion on an eminence above the river Waveney, which was considerably enlarged in 1853. The Church, dedicated to St. Remigius, is an ancient edifice with a tower round at the base, to which an octagonal top and three bells were added during the past year, at an expense of about £450, paid by the patron of the living, Geo. Edwd. Frere, Esq., and the incumbent, the Rev. Temple Frere, M.A. ; the latter also beautified the chancel with three stained glass windows. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £9, has 40a. of glebe, and a handsome rectory house, built in 1847. The tithes are commuted for £446. There is a good school in the village attended by about 80 children. The Church Land, 6a. 2r. 27p., and two cottages are let for £22 10s., which is applied in the service of the church. The poor have the dividends of £905 2s. three-and-a-half per cent stock, left by Margaret Blowers in 1815. Robt. Horner in 1708 bequeathed to the rector for the time being, a close of 4a. on condition that he should preach a sermon on Good Friday, and distribute 40s. among four poor widows. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 20s. left by Wm. Kettleborough, and charged on the White Hart public house. PostOffice at Mary Style's. Letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 6 p.m.
Frere Geo. Edwd. Esq. F.R.S. Roydon Hall Baynes Miss Frances
Bobby Wm. gent.
Frere Rev. Temple, M.A. Rectory Mattholi Michl. shopkpr & crpntr
Murton Geo. shoemaker
Pawley Jno. vict. White Hart Porcher Jno. shoemkr
Seago Thos. schoolmaster
Styles Mary, shopkpr
Good & Bryant
Miles Stephen,(& maltster)
Scace Robt. Grove Farm Simpson Zach.