1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and Kelly's 1900 [Roydon web-site]
Roydon Archeology Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Shelfanger Road postmill and Tottington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Roydon village pages [Roydon web-site]
More on Roydon [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Roydon (near Diss)

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 292-293.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

ROYDON (near Diss), a mile and a half west from Diss station, on the bank of the Waveney and the border of Suffolok, is a villahe and parish in the Southern section of the county, Diss hundred and county court district, Guiltcross union, Redenhall rural deanery, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Remgius is a structure of flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a round tower with an octagonal top, and has been partially restored when the aisle was built, containing seats for 100 persons: a porch was built by the Rev. Temple Frere in memory of his son Temple Frere, who was drowned at Cambridge while trying to save the life of a fellow student: at the chancel end are two monuments, one to Richard E. Frere, lieut. 13th Foot, who died in the Punjab, India, 1842; the other to Susannah Frere, who died at Malta. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value tithe rent charge 456 with 46 acres of glebe and house with residence, in the gift of George Edward Frere esq F.R.S. and held since 1876 by the Rev. Thomas Charles Hose. There is a charity for the aged poor, who have the interest of 900 Three per Cents. left by Mrs. M. Blowers; and Miss Susannah Frere's cjarity of 14 yearly is divided between the church and the poor. George Edward Frere esq F.R.S., J.P. is chief landowner and lord of the manors of Gissing Hall and Roydon Hall with Tuffs, and resides at Roydon Hall, a mansion in extensive grounds, on the road from Diss to Thetford. The soil is mixed; subsoil, chiefly gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and mangold-wurtzel. The area is 1.329 acres; rateable value 2,725; the population in 1881 was 612.

Letters received through Diss, the nearest money order & telegraph office

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1872; S. Newson, Diss, clerk to the board

Board School for 100 children, average attendance, 83; Edwin Atkins, master

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and Kelly's 1900 [Roydon web-site]
Roydon Archeology Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Shelfanger Road postmill and Tottington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Roydon village pages [Roydon web-site]
More on Roydon [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page