SOUTH RUNCTON ia a village and parish, 4 miles north-by-west from Downham Market and 7 south from Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situated on the road to Lynn. The church of St. Andrew is a small building, restored in 1875, having chancel and nave and a turret containing 1 bell: it contains a fine Norman arch, and a handsome tablet to the Peel family: the east window is stained, containing the figure of St. Andrew. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, consolidatd with Holme and Wallington, in the gift of Edmund E. Peel esq., and held since 1866 by the Rev. Charles Greenwood Floyd M.A. late student (fellow) of Christ Church, Oxford, who resides at Holme. The tithes of this parish are commuted at £246 yearly, with 14 acres of glebe. The manor belongs to Caius College. Ca,bridge, who are the principal landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 831 acres; rateable value, £1,179; the population in 1881 was 153.
Letters through Downham, the nearest money order & telegraph office
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009, with minor correction amd links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
South Runcton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Runcton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
and see Runcton Holme and North Runcton
More on South Runcton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page