RUNHALL is a parish, with a scattered population, 1 mile north from Hardingham station and 6 miles west-north-west from Wymondham, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Forehoe, county court district of Wymondham, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The chi=urch of All Saints is a small stone building, in the |erpendicular style: it has a nave, but no chancel, and a round tower containing 1 bell, and was partially restored at an expense of £420 in 1870. The register dates from the year 1697. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Coston, joint yearly value £188, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberley and the Bishop of Norwich, alternately, and held since 1855 by the Rev. Robert Browne Slipper M.A. of Caius College, Ca,bridge., who resides at Coston The commons were enclosed in 1852. The rent of 3 acres, producing £7 8s. yearly, is expended in fuel, which is given to the poor in winter. The Earl of Kimberley, who is lord of the manor, and with Thomas Rose esq. is the chief landowner. The soil is clayey' subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 834 acres; rateable value. £1,442; the population in 1881 was 192.
Letters through Wymondham. LETTER BOX cleared at 5.45 p.m. week days only. The nearets money order office is at Barnham Broom & telegraph offices at Wymondham and Hingham.
A School for the children of this parish & those of Coston was erected by the Earl of Kimberley in 1861, at a cost of £250, & is supported by a voluntary rate & by a subscription from the Earl of Kimberley; Miss Alice Foyster, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.