RUNHALL parish, 4½ miles N.E. of Hingham, near the chief source of the river Yare, comprises 53 houses, 239 souls, and 760a. of land, mostly belonging to Lord Wodehouse, the lord of the manor, impropriator, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 18s., and augmented at various periods with £1,200 Queen Anne's bounty, though valued in 1831 at only £60 per annum. The Hon. and Rev. Wm. Wodehouse is the incumbent. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a round tower and three bells ; the chancel has long been in ruins. Margaret de Berney, in 1416, was buried before the altar of St. Catherine in this church. The poor have 10s. a year left by Mr. Lindsay. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Runhall towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Runhall [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Runhall [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page