RUNHAM is a parish situate on the banks of the navigable Bure (over which is a ferry, called Runham Swim), 3 miles from Ormesby station on the Eastern and Midlands railway. about 6 miles north-west by the old road, but only 4½ by the new road and the ferry, from Yarmouth, in the Northern division of the county, the incorporated hundreds of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an old stone building, comprising chancel and nave, with a handsome square tower with four pinnacles: it has 3 bells: in 1855 it was restored, from designs by W. A. Morant, esq. of Yarmouth: a bequest for erecting the tower was made in 1501. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £207, with 35 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, having, in 1852, been transferred to him by order of the Ecclesiastical Ciommissioners from the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1868 by the Rev. Francis Conway Steward M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. There is one acre of land for poor widows and the poor's allotment consists of 27 acres, let at about £49 yearly, which is distributed in coals. George Brightwen esq. of Bushey Heath, Hertfordshire, who is lord of the manor William Fabb, Robert Fellowes, the trustees of the late B. Cory and William Waters esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, light clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats &c. The area of the parish is 1,636 acres; rateable value, £4,776; the populaton in 1881 was 608.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.George Beckett, postmaster. Letters arrive from Yarmouth 7.45 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.30 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Ormesby
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1879 for the principal part of the parish & Thrigby & Mautby; F. Burton, 2 King Street, Yarmouth, clerk to the board
School & teacher's residence for this parish & Thrigby was built in 1854 at a cost of £512; of which £212 was contributed by the Committee of the Privy Council on Education: it has been transferred to the School Board; John Carpenter, master
Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated December 2013.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1883 and Kelly's 1892 [GENUKI-NFK]
Local village web-site [Fergus Anderson]
More on Runham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page