1891 Census Names Index
1851 Census [Poppyland Publishing]
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
Runton Wills & Other Documents
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Runton tower-mill [Jonathan Neville]
Church of St. Andrew, East Runton [Simon Knott]
Runton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The West Runton Elephant [Norfolk Museums Service]
Wikipedia on West Runton
More on Runton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Runton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.480.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

EAST and WEST RUNTON form a parish on the sea coast, about 2 miles west from Cromer station and 11 from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Trinity is an ancient building of flint, with stone dressings, in the Early English style, having chancel, nave, aisles, porch and a square tower containing 1 bell, with handsome stained windows: the interior has been restored. The register dates from the year 1743. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with that of Aylmerton, joint yearly value £450, in the gift of R. W. Ketton esq. and held since 1872 by the Rev. William Woodward Mills M.A. of Wadham College, Oxford, who resides at Aylmerton. The glebe here is 20 acres and 42 acres in Aylmerton and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £245 per annum. In East Runton there is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The land belonging to the poor, and given by unknown donors, comprises about 20 acres in Runton and about 20 acres in Holt and Letheringsett, the rents of which (£72) are distributed in money and coals. Benjamin Bond-Cabbell esq. is lord of the manor. Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton bart. Mrs. Bond-Cabbell, Thomas W. Cremer esq. and R. W. Ketton esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is light; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and hay. The area is £1,253 acres; rateable value, £1,821; and the population in 1881 was 506.

Letters through Norwich. Cromer is the nearest money order & telegraph office & railway station.

Here is a National school-room in Gothic style, erected by the late Sir Edward Buxton bart.; it has since been enlarged & is now capable of holding 500 children, average attendance 95; William Albert Cole, master; Mrs. Alice Cole, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, February 2005, with country court district corrected, January, 2006; links updated Januuary 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
1851 Census [Poppyland Publishing]
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
Runton Wills & Other Documents
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Runton tower-mill [Jonathan Neville]
Church of St. Andrew, East Runton [Simon Knott]
Runton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
The West Runton Elephant [Norfolk Museums Service]
Wikipedia on West Runton
More on Runton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page