RUSHALL, a parish and village 3 miles W. of Harleston, has 58 houses, 267 souls, and 1170 acres of land, the property of various freeholders, who pay small fee rents to the Duke of Norfolk, as lord of the manor. The Hall farm, 200 acres, belongs to Bethel Hospital, Norwich. The Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a tower, circular at the base, and octangular above. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £4 ; and in 1831, at £93. The Rev. Robert Cooper, of Dickleburgh, is patron and incumbent, and has about 12a. of glebe. The great tithes belong to Emanuel[sic] College, Cambridge. Thos. Pheasant left these tenements and 6½a. of land, let at low rents to poor families. The rents are applied to the service of the church.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dickleburgh and Rushall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Rushall [GENUKI-NFK]