RUSHFORD is a parish situate on the Little Ouse, 4 miles south-east of Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, Thetford union and county court district, hundreds of Guiltcross and Blackbourn, partly in Suffolk, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Evangelist, in the Decorated style, was formerly part of the college of St. John the Evangelist, dissolved in 1511, the only parts left of the original church are the nave and tower, containing 6 bells, but the adjoining remains of the collegiate buildings, now occupied by the rector as a residence, are curious and interesting The register dates from the year 1777. The living was formerly a donative, exempt from episcopal jurisdiction, yearly value £100, in the gift of Sir Robert Jacob Buxton bart. M.P., D.L. but is now united to the adjoining parish of Brettenham, in the same patronage; joint gross yearly value £340 with house and held since 1878 by the Rev. Edward Kedington Bennet D.C.L. of University College, Oxford. Sir Robert Jacob Buxton bart. M.P., D.L. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. Here is a parochial library of 150 volumes, supported by the Dowager Lady Buxton. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and rye. The area is 4,623 acres, inclusive of Great and Little Snarehill parish, besides 1,495 in Suffolk; rateable value, £1,398 17s. 6d.; and the population in 1881 was 169.
SHADWELL is a hamlet in this parish, 1½ miles south-east from Rushford. Shadwell Court is the seat of Sir Robert Jacob Buxton bart. M.P., D.L., J.P., a beautiful modern mansion of Domestic gothic architecture, in the centre of a luxuriantly wooded park, takes its name from a celebrated spring situated near the house, which was formerly much frequented by pilgrims, and called St. Chadd's Well; the house is of beautiful and varied outline, and some of the details and carvings, especially in the parts added by the present baronet, are singularly pure and good: the hall, panelled and roofed with carved oak, and the clock tower and stable quadrangle, are particularly to be remarked, as well in general design as in detail: there is a fine collection of stuffed birds, collected from the estate, and some curious and valuable pictures preserved in the hall, with a fine library containing some rare books.
Letters through Thetford, the nearest money order & telegraph office. PILLAR LETTER BOX cleared at 5.3 p.m.; sundays at 10.30 a.m.
INSURANCE AGENT. Norwich Union, Caleb Barker, Shadwell
Here is a school for Rushford & Brettenham, built by the Dowager Lady Buxton in 1872 & maintained by the Buxton family; it will hold 60 children; average attendance 45; Miss Marian Gross, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
National Gazetteer, 1868 [GENUKI-NFK]
Brettenham (& Rushford) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Rushford Church [Local web-site]
More on Rushford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page