RUSHFORD, 4 miles E. by S. of Thetford, is a parish and village on the Little Ouse, which includes the hamlet of Shadwell. The parish is partly in this county and partly in Suffolk, having 187 inhabitants, of whom 133 are in the former county, and 54 in the latter; and comprises 2,264 acres of land, exclusive of Snarehill, noticed below, and Rushford Lodge, a tithe-free estate of about 1,200 acres, all the property of Sir Robt. Jacob Buxton Bart., who resides at Shadwell Court, a handsome mansion on the north side of the parish, in the vale of the river Thet, and having a well-wooded park, in which stands a fine statue of Hercules killing a three-headed monster. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was appropriated to a College founded here by Sir Edm.Goneville in 1342, for a master and six priests. It has a fine tower, and had a chancel and transept, which were dilapidated several centuries ago. The living is a donative in the patronage of Sir R. J. Buxton, who is also impropriator. It is valued at £100, and is enjoyed by the Rev. Fdk. Downes Panter, M.A.
Sir Robert Jacob Buxton Bart., and the Dowager Lady Buxton, Shadwell Court ; Walter Austin, farm bailiff to Sir R. J. Buxton, Shadwell Hall ; Chas. Cooke, College Farm ; Rev. Fdk. D. Panter, M.A., rector of Brettenham ; and
Robert Ringer, farmer, Rushford Lodge.