Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Ruston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Ruston post-mill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on East Ruston [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register Information (Banns, Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - East Ruston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 481.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

EAST RUSTON is a parish and village near the sea coast, with the houses very much scattered, 5½ miles from North Walsham, 3 north from Stalham station and 3 from Horning on the Eastern and Midlands railway, in the Northern division of the county, Happing hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district , rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is of an ancient date, built of flint with stone dressings: it consists of chancel, nave, south aisle and square tower with 1 bell: the panels of the chancel screen are embellished with paintings: there is a very fine font, wnriched with carvings, representing the sy mbols of tje Evangelists. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rector, with 11 acres of glebe, annexed to the vicarage of Ridlington, joint yealy value £208, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberley and the Dean and Canons of Windsor, alternately, and held since 1881 by the Rev. William Muskett Hobson, of St. Catherine's College, Cambridge, who resides at North Walsham, there being no parsonage annexed to this benefice. Professor Porson, the celebrated Greek scholar, was born here in the year 1750. Major Cubitt. of Thorpe Hall, Norwich is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Ash Rudd esq. Mrs. John Anthony Athill, Charles Le Neave and H. Morse Taylor esqrs. The soil is rich fine loam; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The number of acres is 2,446, mostly in village, with the exception of 300 acre sof common land, on which the poor pasture their cattle and cut fuel; rateable value, £4,219; the population in 1881 was 665.


Letters through Norwich, viā Stalham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 for the united parishes of East Ruston & Ridlington, T. W. Durrell, clerk

Board School, Miss Mary Montague, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Ruston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Ruston post-mill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on East Ruston [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register Information (Banns, Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]