Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Ruston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Ruston post-mill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on East Ruston [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register Information (Banns, Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - East Ruston

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 494-495

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, June 2002.]

RUSTON (EAST) or Riston, 6 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, is a considerable but scattered village and parish, comprising 845 souls, 190 houses, and 2,434 acres of land, of which about 300a. were allotted to the poor in 1810, who cut fuel, and pasture their cattle upon it. The rest belongs to a number of free and copyholders. The Rev. F. W. Cubitt is lord of the manor of East Ruston and Burnells, and Mr. Ash Rudd is lord of Kerdiston Netherhall. The rectorial manor is leased with the tithes, to T. N. Keith and J. J. Blake, Esqrs. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, was re-pewed, and the north aisle rebuilt in 1778. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £11 11s. 10d., and annexed to the rectory of Ridlington, in the alternate patronage of Lord Wodehouse and the Dean and Canons of Windsor ; the latter are appropriators of the tithes, which are subject to the payment of £13 6s. 8d. to the vicar ; and were commuted in 1841 for £941 5s. per annum. East Ruston is distinguished as the birth-place of that eminent Greek scholar, Richard Porson, M.A., who was born here in 1759, and was first initiated in letters by his father, then clerk of the parish. In 1803, he was unanimously chosen Greek Professor of the University, Cambridge ; and a short time before his death, which happened in 1808, he was appointed principal librarian of the London Institution. My. Helsden, of East Ruston, died on February 8th, 1803, at the age of 105 years and 11 months. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1828, and the Wesleyan Reformers erected a neat chapel in 1851.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, June 2002; links updated Januiary 2011.

Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
East Ruston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
East Ruston post-mill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on East Ruston [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register Information (Banns, Marriages, Births, Burials) [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]