1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Ryburgh postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Ryburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about Great Ryburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Great Ryburgh

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 481-2.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

GREAT RYBURGH is a village and parish, and station on the Wymondham and Wells branch of the Great Eastern railway, on the banks of the river Wensum, 134 miles from London and 4 south-east from Fakenham, in the Western dvision of the county, Gallow hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Toftrees and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a cruciform building, in the Early English style consisting of chancel and nave: in 1860 it was substantially restored with new roof and sittings, at a cost of more than £1,000; a beautiful stained east window representing the different titles of our Lord, was added in 1863, and an organ in 1864: a memorial window has been erected in the nave to Edward Tolver Gwyn esq. of Pensthorpe: also several memorial windows and a brass eagle lectern have been given by members of the present vicar's family: the chancel contains a piscina on the north as well as on the south side; there are also a piscina and aumbrie in the north transept. The register dates from the year 1547. The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Little Ryburgh annexed, joint yearly value £600, in the gift of Charles Meaburn Tatham esq. of Lincoln's Inn and held since 1859 by the Rev. George Edward Tatham M.A. of Merton College, Oxford, rural dean of Brisley and Toftrees. Here are places of worship for the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. There is an allotment of 20A. 0R. 13P. the rent of which amounts to £25 yearly, and is distributed to the poor in coals. Morse's charity, £5 7s. yearly, is for blankets. The church land consists of 8A. 2R. and is let at £14 a year. Sennowe Hall distant about 3 miles south-east of Ryburgh station, is the property of Mrs. Morse Boycott. of Sennoweville, Bushey, Herts, and is now in the occupatiom of William Penn esq.: it is situated in a picturesque park, through which flows the river Wensum, and is surrounded by nearly 300 acres, including the park and woodlands. The trustees of the late Fred. Augustus Morse Boycott are lords of the manor and principal landowners, but there are several small owners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The parish contains 1.170 statute acres; rateable value, £4,327; the population in 1881 was 693.

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, October 2008, with minor corrections February. 2009; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Great Ryburgh postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Ryburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More about Great Ryburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page