1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Saham Toney tower mill; Saham Hills north, north-east, east and south postmills and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Saham Hills church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Saham Toney Parish Council
Saham Toney archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Saham Toney
Addtional Historical Information
More on Saham Toney [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Saham Toney

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 863-864

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

SAHAM-TONEY, 1 mile N.W. of Watton, is a parish and large scattered village, which has increased its population since 1801 from 650 to 1,295 souls, and has 272 houses, and 3,982a. 2r. 18p. of land. The soil belongs to a number of proprietors. Jas. Cuddon, Esq., is lord of the manor of Saham-Toney; and the Rev. Wm. Grigson is lord of the manors of Harveys, Howards and Pages; besides which, here is a small rectorial manor. Near the centre of the village is a lake or mere of 13a., well stocked with fish, especially eels of two species, one noted for their delicious, and the other for their nauseous flavour. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. George, is a large edifice, with a lofty tower and six bells, erected in 1480, but the chancel was rebuilt by the late rector, and the edifice has for some time been undergoing a thorough restoration, chiefly at the expense of the present rector, who has expended about £4,000 in the work. The nave has been fitted up with open seats, some of them handsomely carved. The font is large, with a curiously carved cover. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £2 14s. 9d., and in 1841 at £1,010, is in the patronage of New College, Oxford, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Wm. H. Parker, M.A. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. In 1626, the Rev. Richard Terry, a late rector, left the Rectory House, well furnished, and 5a. of land, for the use of the succeeding rectors: he also left a house and land for the parish clerk to ring the evening eight o'clock bell; and a farm of 23a. 2r. for the use of the schoolmaster. The latter is now let for about £35 a year. In 1611, Edwd. Goaffe left a school house for the master's residence, and almshouses for four poor widows, and endowed the latter with £5 a year, and the former with a like sum; and 4a. of land, now let for £4. The Free school was built about 18 years ago, and enlarged in 1844. The master teaches, as free scholars, all the sons of parishioners who are sent to him, and the school is also free to six boys of Watton, and one of Threxton. The AGRICULTURAL AND COMMERCIAL SCHOOLS, erected at great cost in 1852 by the Rev. W. H. Parker, is a handsome structure in the Elizabethan style, with a convenient residence for the master, who occupies the centre of the building. On the south side is a lofty and well-ventilated school room, with a library &c., attached to it, and opening into a play ground of nearly three acres in extent. On the north side is a large dining room, kitchen, store room, &c. The bedrooms are light and airy, and have accommodation for 30 boarders; and all the arrangements bear ample proof of comfort and utility: Mr. Wm. de Troy is the master. An Infant School was built in 1838, and a Girls' School in 1848, at the expense of the same gentleman, which he also supports. The Fuel Allotment awarded in the 37th of George III. consists of 80a. 1r. 10p., let for £67, which is distributed in coals. The dividends of £760, New 3¼ per cents., left by Charles Hunt, in 1811, are distributed in clothing among the poor parishioners. The rent of two allotments, comprising 3a. 1r. 12p., is applied in repairing the highways; but part of it is said to have belonged to the poor, by gift from Mary Duffield, in 1702. In 1841, the present rector built almshouses for three aged couple [sic] of this parish. The Rev. Humphrey Prideux, author of the "Life of Mahomet," was rector here from 1686 to 1694. The eccentric Mr. Suckforth, who died here in 1781, aged ninety years, was buried in a small enclosure on his own estate.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 and
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Saham Toney tower mill; Saham Hills north, north-east, east and south postmills and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Saham Hills church (and audio tour) [Wayland and Watton info]
Saham Toney Parish Council
Saham Toney archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Saham Toney
Addtional Historical Information
More on Saham Toney [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page