1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Salhouse towermill, and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Salhouse archeology [Norfolk Heritage Exploerer]
More on Salhouse [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Salhouse [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Salhouse

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.483.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

SALHOUSE (SALEHOUSE or SALLOWES) is a village and parish near the river Bure, and station on the East Norfolk railway, 6 miles north-east from Norwich in the Southern division of the county, in Taverham hundred. and St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham, archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is chiefly of the thirteenth century, consisting of chancel, nave and north aisle, to which has been added a tower built in the fifteenth century, four feet west of the west wall of the nave: the entire church was restored and a handsome south porch built in 1881. There are some mural tablets to the family of Ward formerly of Walcot: an hour glass stand, a sanctus bell and two Templars' coffins remain. The register dates from the year 1568, but is not very well preserved. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Wroxham, joint yearly value 326, in the gift of W. H. Trafford esq. and held since 187 by the Rev. Thomas Francis Boddington M.A. of St. Pter's College, Cambridge. There are two Baptist chapels and one for the Wesleyans. The charities are as follows:—Mr. Edward Metyer, in 1712, left 2 10s. yearly, payable at Easter; the town lands 24A. 4R. 2P. produce about 30 yearly, which is expended in fuel; there is also 10s. yearly, paid by E. F. Ward esq. for one acre of land on Mousehold Heath. Salhouse Hall, the property of Edward Foote Ward esq. and occupied by George H. Tuck esq. a castellated brick building, of the Elizabethan period, is pleasantly situated in a large and well-wooded lawn, and contains a fine collection of paintings and works of art. William Henry Trafford esq. who is lord of the manor, Sir Henry J. Stracey bart. Edward F. Ward esq. A. Cator esq. and Major Perkins, are the principal landowners. The soil is of a light character: subsoil, marl. The chief crop are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 2,060 acres; rateable value, 2,745; and the population in 1881 was 672.



POST OFFICE.--William Runacres, receiver. Latters arrive from Norwich at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.25 p.m. The neaarest money order & telegraph office is at Wroxham

A National School is upported by voluntary subsriptions; Miss Emily Tuck, mistress

Railway Station, Walter Collins, station master

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Salhouse towermill, and postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Salhouse archeology [Norfolk Heritage Exploerer]
More on Salhouse [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Salhouse [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page