SALL is a village and parish 1½ miles north from Reepham station on the Great Eastern railway and 6 south-west from Aylsham, in the Northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a noble cathedral-like building of flint, in the Perpendicular style, with chancel, nave, supported on six fine arches, aisles, porches and lofty tower, which may be seen several miles off, containing six bells: there are several ancient brasses. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value £568, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Pembroke College, Cambridge and held since 1847 by the Rev. Charles Earle Marsh M.A. of that college. Sall House, the seat of Mrs. Jodrell, the sister of the late Rev. Sir E. R. Jodrell bart. is a large brick mansion, situated in the midst of a large park, thickly studded with oak and other trees. Colonel W. E. G. Lytton-Bulwer is lord of the manor of Salkirkstall. Mrs. Jodrell and Colonel W. E. B. Lytton-Bulmer are the chief landowners; Mr. B. Stimpson, of Morton-on-the-Hill, is also a landowner here. The soil is sand and loam: subsoil, clay and gravel. The area is 1,802A. 3R. 15P. rateable value, £2,715, the population in 1881 was 194.
CARRIER TO NORWICH.Eke passes through wednesday & saturday, from Wood Dalling, returning same days.
A schoolhouse was built in 1864, by the late Rev. Sir E. R. Jodrell bart. & is supported by is widow, Lady Jodrell; William Vince, master; Mrs. Vince, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
More on Sall [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
The churches of Salle and Cawston [Simon Knott]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page