SALTHOUSE is a parish situate near the seashore, 3½ miles north from Holt station, 10 east from Cromer and 12 west from Wells, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred and county court district, Erpingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The surface of this parish is undulating, and the higher grounds command fine sea views; about 500 acres of marsh, belonging to this and the adjoining parishes of Cley and Kelling, were in 1851 drained and embanked, but about 1863 the banks were broken and have not since been repaired : there are 330 acres belonging to this parish, the remainder to the other two parishes before mentioned. The church of St. Nicholas is a large and lofty building, in the Later English style, and consists of chancel and nave with clerestory, aisles, north and south porches, small vestry and square embattled tower containing 1 bell : several of the old oak benches, with poppy heads, still remain: the stone font has some curiously carved emblems (on shields) of the Crucifixion and Evangelistic symbols; it stands on a large octagon stone base of two steps : a stained glass window was placed in the east end of the south aisle in 1878 by subscription. The register dates from the year 1713. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of Kelling; the tithes for the united parishes are commuted at $520 with 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the late Onesiphorus Randall esq. And held since 1881 by the Rev. John Webb Flavel B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. There are places for worship for the United Methodist Free Church and the Primitive Methodists. On the extreme east of the health, adjoining Kelling parish, is an earth work, which may be roughly described as a raised bank, much in the form of an old fashioned figure of 6, about 35 paces in diameter, with a mound in the centre, perhaps 6 or 8 feet higher than the embankment : as at Beeston, the entrance is northerly and faces the sea, and there are Grimes' graves near at hand : it is unlike that at Beeston in deviating from the horse-shoe form (at Beeston the horse-shoe is double, base to base, and the southernmost is smaller and apparently newer than the other, with a bank between them), and neither of the latter has a central mound. At the enclosure in 1781 the poor received three allotments, comprising 349 acres for fuel and pasturage; one of these, comprising 122 acres, was part of Kelling common. The trustees of the late O. Randall esq. are lords of the manor, and with Messrs. W. Purdy and W. Davy esqrs. And Mrs. Johnson are the chief landowners. The soil is chiefly light; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and grass. The area of 1,559 acres; rateable value £1,397 2s. 6d.; and the population in 1881 was 207.
Letters received through Dereham, viâ Holt, by foot messenger, about 10 a.m. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 3.5 p.m. Cley-next-the-Sea is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2005, with spelling corrections October, 2005; and links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
Censuses 1841-1901 [Val Fiddian]
White's 1836, 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Salthouse Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Salthouse postmill, smockmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Ships of the North (The churches of Blakeney, Cley, Salthouse & Wiveton) [Simon Knott]
More on Salthouse [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page