SANTON is a parish, 3½ miles north-west of Thetford, and 2 east from Brandon, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese, situated on the north side of the Little Ouse, on the borders of Suffolk. The parish is principally heath and plantations, abounding with game. The church of St. Helen is a small flint building, and consists of chancel, nave, porch and tower, which is square at the base, but the upper part is octagonal, and contains 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1770. The living is a rectory, yearly value £80, in the gift of William Dalziel Mackenzie and held since 1857 by the Rev. William Weller-Poley M.A. of Queens' College, Cambridge, who resides at Brandon, Suffolk. William Dalziel Mackenzie esq. J.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are rye and turnips. The area is 1,508 acres; rateable value, £594; the population in 1881 was 35.
Parish Clerk, Robert Wilson.
Letters through Brandon, the nearest money order & telegraph office
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
More on Santon [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information on Santon [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Santon Downham (Suffolk)