SANTON, 4 miles N.W. of Thetford, and on the north side of the Little Ouse river, is a parish, with 34 souls, and 1,500a. of sandy land, all the property of Lord Powlett, of Santon Downham Hall, on the opposite side of the river, in Suffolk, who farms the land in this parish. The Church, dedicated to St. Helen, is a small edifice, rebuilt in 1628. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £1 15s. 10d., in the gift of Lord Powlett, and the incumbency of the Rev. H. S. M. Hubert, B.A. of Thetford. The tithes are commuted for £80.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, November 2000; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Indes
1845, 1864, and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
More on Santon [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information on Santon [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page