Sapiston, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Sapiston [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Sapiston

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.1008.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

SAPISTON is a parish and small village, on the west bank of a small affluent of the Little Ouse, and on the road to Thetford, closely adjoining Honington, 3 miles north-by-west from Ixworth, 5 miles north-west from Barnham station, 5 miles west from Ingham station, and 10 north-east from Bury St. Edmunds, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, Thetford union and county court district, Blackbourn rural deanery, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Andrew is a flint and rubble building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave with thatched roof, south porch over a fine Norman doorway, vestry and square tower containing 4 bells. The register dates from the year 1670. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £123, with residence, in the gift of the Duke of Grafton and held since 1889 by the Rev. Walter Spencer M.A. of Clare College, Cambridge. The Duke of Grafton K.G., C.B. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is mixed, principally heavy; subsoil clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans, pease and roots. The area is 1,230 acres; rateable value £1,569; the population in 1881 was 263.


Letters through Bury St. Edmunds, by messenger, from Ixworth. WALL LETTER BOX cleared week days at 5 p.m.; no collection on sunday. Ixworth is the nearest money order & telegraph office

 

Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on Sapiston [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page