SAXLINGHAM is a parish, about 3½ mile west from Holt station, and 3½ miles from Melton Constable and 7½ east from Walsingham station, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, and county court district, Walsingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient cruciform building, in the Later English style. consisting of chancel, nave and transept, southern porch, and square tower at the west end; in a niche is an effigy of the lady of Sir Christopher Heydon, who died in 1593. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory (tithes commuted for £426), yearly value £450, with residence and 28 acrs of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the late Rev. Sir Edward Repps Jodrill bart. and held since 1861 by the Rev. Thomas John Gordon Marsham M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge J.P. Mrs. Jodrell is lady of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light loam, partly on a chalk formation, and farmed on the cutomary four-course Norfolk system. The area is 1,498 acres; rateable value, £1,771; the population in 1881 was 140.
Letters through Dereham, viā Holt, by foot post arrive about 9.15 a.m. & leave at 4 p.m The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Holt. No post o sundays.
This parish is united with Field Dalling School Board, at which place the school is
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Field Dalling (& Saxlingham) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Our Daily Bread (Introduction to the churches of Bale, Bayfield, Field Dalling, Glandford, Holt and Saxlingham [Simon Knott]
More on Saxlingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page