SAXLINGHAM, 3½ miles W. of Holt, has in its parish 30 houses, 182 souls, and 1,948 acres of land, mostly the property of Sir R. P. Jodrell, Bart., the lord of the manor, and patron of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Margaret, and had formerly an elaborate monument to Lady Heydon, the only remains of which is an effigy of the lady, now placed in a niche. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £12 17s. 3½d , is annexed to that of Sherrington [sic], and enjoyed by the Rev. S. Jodrell, M.A. The tithes are commuted for £426. The poor have the interest of £16, left by Chpr. Ringer, in 1679.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated January 2011.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Field Dalling (& Saxlingham) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Our Daily Bread (Introduction to the churches of Bale, Bayfield, Field Dalling, Glandford, Holt and Saxlingham [Simon Knott]
More on Saxlingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page