SAXTHORE is a parish and small village with station at Corpusty (the adjoining village), on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 6 miles north-west from Aylsham. situated on the north bank of the Bure, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and docese of Norwich. The Church of St. Andrew is large building of flint, in the Decorated style, dating from the beginning of the fifteenth century, and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, square tower containing 1 bell and porch; there is a stained east window, and a handsome window in the south aisle in memory of the sister of the Rev. S. Ashby. a former vicar: it stands on rising ground, a little north of the river Bure. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of Pembroke College, Cambridge, and held since 1879 by the Rev. James Harrison Watson M.A. of that College, ex-principal of the Asylum for Deaf and Blind, Old Kent road, London. An iron foundry and agricultural machinery manufactory is carried on here by Mr. Ezra Cornish; it was established in 1800, and gives employment to a number of the inhabitants. Col. W. E. G. Lytton Bulwer is lord of the two manors of Hall and Mickle Hall. The Earl of Orford, the trustees of the l;ate Frederick Barnard Astley esq. and W. A. Dixon esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, sand and gravel. The crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 2,113 acres; rateable velue, £2,326; the population in 1881 was 331.
Letters through Norwich. Reepham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
This parish is included in the Corpusty United School Board District formed in 1875, & the children attend the school at Corpusty
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Corpusty (& Saxthorpe) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Saxthorpe fulling mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Saxthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
Saxthorpe Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page