SCARNING is a village and parish near Wendling station on the Lynn and Dereham railway, from a quarter to 2½ miles west from East Dereham, on the road from East Dereham to Swaffham. in the Western division of the county Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul, which was completely restored in 1859, is a fine Gothic building, supposed to have been erected about the middle of the fifteenth century: it has chancel, nave and a chantry chapel, a handsomely decorated south porch, and a massive square tower containing 5 bells: there are some stained windows in the chancel; the large one at the east end, a memorial winow to the Rev Philip Du Val Aufrere, late rector, and his second wife, placed there by his only son, represents the two patron saints: here is a rood screen, in a very high state of preservation, with the original gilding and colours still comparatively fresh, and a small sanctus bell at its back in the south corner, in its original oak frame: in the chantry chapel, which is now used as a vestry, is a piscina and what is considered to be an aumbrie. The register dates from 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £496, with residence and 12 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A. of Bylaugh Park, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Augustus Jessopp D.D. of St John's College, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The charities for distribution are £22 yearly, and there is a fuel allotment of 14 acres. The family of the great Norfolk hero, Lord Nelson, sprang from this parish. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombie B.A. of Bylaugh Park, who is lord of the manor, Capt. Adlington, Miss Girling and Sir W. Jones bart. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay and loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The parish comprises 3,470 acres; rateable va;ue £5,895; the population in 1881 was 666.
POST OFFICE RECEIVING HOUSE. Letters through East Dereham, dispatched at 6 p.m.; delivered at 7 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at East Dereham.
A free school was founded here in 1604 by William Seckar, & endowed with 86 acres of land, to which an allotment of 16A. 2R 3P. was added at the enclosure in 1776; the estate produces £200 a year; but now (1883) is under a new scheme for the adminsitartion therof: the master has a yearly salary of £120, with a house & garden & 3 acres of land : a new school room & house for the master were erected in 1850, at a cost of £900, the first Lord Thurlow & several eminent men have been educated here under the masterships of the Rev. W. Potter & the Rev. St. John Priest; William Carter, certificated master; Mrs Sophia Carter, mistress.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998; links updated June 2010.
Note: The hamlet of Daffy Green is now assigned (for reasons known only to the Highways Department of the Norfolk County Council) a large road sign on the main road from Shipdham to East Dereham, as well as one of equal size in Shipdham itself.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Scarning Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Scarning [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page