SCARNING parish extends from 1 to 3½ miles W. of East Dereham, and has 637 souls, 135 houses, and 3,872 acres of fertile land, partly the property of Charles Lombe, Esq., the patron of the church and lord of the manor ; Capt. Adlington has also a large estate here. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, has a massive tower and five bells. The living, valued in the King's book at £9 0s. 2d., and in 1831 at £401, is both rectorial and vicarial ; the Rev. Thos. Carson, the incumbent, having half the rectorial tithes, and the patron the other moiety. The Free school was founded in 1604 by Wm. Secker, and endowed with 86a. of land, to which an allotment of 16a. 2r. 3p. was made at the enclosure in 1776. The master occupies the house and garden, and about 3a. of land. The other 99a. are let for £150 a year, out of which the master has a salary of £80, and £5 a year to provide stationery. The residue is applied as a repairing fund, and providing for the arbitrary fine levied on the copyholds. The school and house for teachers were rebuilt in a handsome manner in 1850, at the cost of £900. The average attendance is 90. The Fuel Allotment is 14a. The Old Poor's Land, 6a., is let for £5 ; and the Whitebread Meadow, 6a., for £10. These sums are distributed in bread, together with a rent-charge of 6s. left by one Burroughes.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Scarning Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Scarning [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page