Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sco'Ruston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Sco Ruston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - South Ruston (or Sco'Ruston)

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 481.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SOUTH RUSTON (or Sco' RUSTON) is a parish 8½ miles north-east from Norwich, 5½ south from North Walsham and 2 from Coltishall station on the Wroxham and Aylsham branch of the Great Eastern line, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is a small ancient building consisting of chancel and nave and formerly had a tower, the ruins of which still remain, covered with ivy. The register dates from the year 1678. The living is a chapelry, consolidated with the vicarage of Tunstead, joint gross yearly value £340, in the gift of Mrs. Thomas Mack, of Tunstead Hall, and held since 1863 by the Rev. George Hemlington Harris M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford, who resides at Tunstead. The representatives of the late Sir H. J. Durrant bart. who are lords of the manor, and Mr. Thomas H. Wells, are principal landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The area of the parish is 471 acres; rateable value, £861; and the population in 1881 was 89.——Letters through Norwich, viā Scottow. Coltishall is the nearest money order & telegraph office
 

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sco'Ruston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Sco Ruston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]