SCO-RUSTON, or South Ruston, 5 miles S. of North Walsham, has in its parish only 29 houses, 118 souls, and 480 acres, 2 roods, 24 perches of land, mostly belonging to Sir T. H. E. Durrant, the Rev. T. Mack, and Mr. Thos. Wells. The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, a small ancient edifice, was formerly larger and had a tower of which some ivy-mantled ruins still remain. The living is a curacy, consolidated with Tunstead Vicarage, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Mack, M.A. The tithes were commuted in 1841 for £52 10s. to the incumbent, and £135 to the impropriator. At the enclosure in 1820 the poor had an allotment of 1 acre, 3 roods, 8 perches.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sco'Ruston archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Sco Ruston [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]