Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Scole and Rushall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Scole early postmills, later postmill, Burston Wood postmill. Langmere postmill and Rectory Road postmill [all Jonathan Neville]
Old photos, maps and books [Francis Frith collection]
More on Scole [GENUKI-NFK]

Norfolk - Scole

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 486-487.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

SCOLE (or OSMONDESTON) is a pleasant village and parish, 2 miles east from Diss station, in the Southern section of the county, Diss hundred and county court district, Depwade union, Redenhall rural deanery, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient building in the Early English style, consisying of chancel, nave and south aisle, porch and square tower, containing 1 bell; the edifice was thoroughly restored and re-seated in 1874. The register dates from 1693. The living is a rectory, yearly value 255 with 27 aces of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sir Edward Clarence Kerrison bart. and held since 1875 by the Rev. Frederick Page Roberts M.A. of St. John's College Cambridge. Scole Lodge, the seat of Frederick Crawshay esq. is plesantly situated in this parish, on the Norwich road. Sir Edward C. Kerrison bart, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are W. Betts esq. W. C. Curtels esq. L.L.D., J.P. F. Crawshay esq. Thos. Mann esq. and Lord Hartismere. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The parish contains 821 acres of land; rateable value, including Thorpe Parva and Frenze, 2,953; and the population in 1881 was 720.


POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.—George Sctts, postmaster, Scole inn. London mails arrive at 3.40 a.m. and 1 p.m. The letters are dispatched to Harleston, Bungay, Diss, Eye, Botesdale, and Attleborough, & to Hoxne, Oakley, Brome, Dickleburgh, Mellis & Brockdish by foot post. The town & district deivery commences at 7 a.m. & 1.15 p.m.; letters are dispatched at 10.10 a.m. & 9.15 p.m.

Parochial School, built on 1851 and enlarged in 1872 for 160 children, average atendance, 122; Edward Beecher Brigden, master; Mrs. Agnes Brigden, infants' mistress

CARRIER TO NORWICH.—Chenery, from Diss, wed. & sat

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Scole and Rushall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Scole early postmills, later postmill, Burston Wood postmill. Langmere postmill and Rectory Road postmill [all Jonathan Neville]
Old photos, maps and books [Francis Frith collection]
More on Scole [GENUKI-NFK]