SCOLE OR OSMONDISTON, 2 miles E. by S. of Diss, is a village, pleasantly situated on the Norwich and Ipswich road, on the north bank of the river Waveney. The parish contains 150 houses, 682 inhabitants, and 850 acres of land ; but the parishes of Frenze and Thorpe Parva are united with it for the support of the poor, and they contain together 1,454a., and 728 souls. Scole Lodge is the handsome residence of Mrs. Jane Whitaker. Scole Inn is a commodious brick building, in the Elizabethan style, formerly noted for a very large and curious sign, forming an arch across the road, containing a great number of large statues, executed by Fairchild, at the cost of £1,057. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a tower and one bell, and was thoroughly repaired and beautified some years ago. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £9, has 25a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £280 in lieu of tithes. Sir E. Kerrison is patron, and the Rev. W. Holmes, M.A., incumbent. A factory, on an extensive scale, is now in course of erection, by a joint stock company, for the manufacture of rope, twine, sacks, &c. The National school, now building, will cost about £250 raised by subscriptions. A fair for horses and pedlery is held here on Easter Tuesday. The Church estate produces about £7 per annum, Post Office at Scole Inn. Letters arrive at 3.50 a.m., and 3.30 p.m., and are despatched to Norwich at 3.50 a.m., and to London at 9 p.m. Money order office open from 9 a.m., till 6 p.m. Mr. Hy. Haynes. post master.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Scole Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Scole tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Scole [GENUKI-NFK]