SCOULTON is a parish and village 6 miles north-west from Attleborough and 4 east from Watton station, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Wayland, county court district of Attleborough, rural deanery of Breckles and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of Holy Trinity is an ancient flint building, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, and porch, with tower surmounted by an octagonal belfry containing three bells. The register dates from the year 1550, but is very imperfect. The living is a discharged rectory, yearly value £550, including 53 acres of glebe, with residence in the gift of John Weyland esq. and held by the Rev. Henry Robert Arthur Johnson M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, appointed in 1883. The fuel allotment of 39 acres is let for £40 yearly. Here is a fine sheet of water 1 miles in circumference, enclosing a swampy island, the property of John Weyland esq. remarkable for the breeding-place of innumerable gulls, of the beautiful species. Laru ridibundus (the black-headed, or laughing gull), which congregate in March and retire in August: their eggs are considered very delicious. The principal landowners are John Weyland esq. who is lord of the manor, Henry Hemsworth and Edward M. Dewing esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and barley. The parish contains 2,193 acres; rateable value £3,142; and in 1881 the population was 326,
POST OFFICE. Henry Robert Tyrrell, receiver. Letters through Thetford arrive at 9.20 a.m. dispatched at 8.20 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hingham
School, John K. Pelly, master; Mrs. Frances Pelly, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998; amended August, 2000; links updated February 2010.
Notes (ECA): The gulls have disappeared from Scoulton mere since WWII, though pre-war the crop of eggs was counted in thousands. (Presumably the gulls objected to having to rear all their progeny!!! - where they now breed is not known locally.). The angling rights on the mere are privately let to a Norwich angling club.
The roof of the nave of the church is thatched, the chancel is roofed with pantiles and the tower was renovated in early 1999.
1891 Census Names Index and Transcript
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Scoulton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Notice of Enclosure, 1781 (search down for Hingham) [GENUKI-NFK]
Scoulton Parosh Council
Scoulton church (with audio tour) [ Wayland and Watton info]
Scoulton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Scoulton background [BBC Norfolk]
Wikipedia on Scoulton
More on Scoulton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page