1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sculthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Sculthorpe watermill and Sculthorpe tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Greyhound and Red Lion [Norfolk pubs index]
More about Sculthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Sculthorpe [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Sculthorpe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 487-8.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SCULTHORPE is a scattered village and parish about 2 miles north-west from Fakenham station, on the Wensum, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred. Walsingham union, county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints was enlarged and thoroughly restored in 1860, at the joint expense of the present rector and his brother, Sir Willoughby Jones bart.: it is Gothic, and consists of chancel nave, aisles and a fine square tower; several of the windows are stained : there are a few ancient brasses and a richly-carved Norman font. The register commences in the year 1561. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent-charge 574 with 72 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sir Willoughby Jones bart. and held since 185 by the Rev. Herbert Walsingham Jones M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, hon. canon of Norwich, J.P.. The Baptists and Primtiive Methodists each have a place of worship here, There are four almshouses for indigent persons, the gift of Francis Beckham, in the year 1686, rebuilt and enlarged by Catherine Maria, Lady Jones, of Cranmer Hall, A.D. 1859. The poor have 29 yearly for fuel. There are also steam and water corn mills, agricultural implement works and a large brass and iron foundry. Cranmer Hall, the mansion of Sir Willoughby Jones bart. M.A., D.L., L.P. is a large handsome building, situated in a park of 250 acres. Sir Willoughby Jones bart. who is lord of the manor, Lord Hastings and Joseph Stonehewer Scott Chad esq. are the chief landowners. The soil is light loam; subsoil, clay. The crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 2,055 acres; rateable value 4,100; the population in 1881 was 574.


POST OFFICE.—Mary Ann Warner, receive. Letters arrive at 7.10 a.m.l dispatched at 5.0 p.m.

Letters through Fakenham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office. PILLAR LETTER BOC cleared at 5.15 p.m. weekdays only

SCHOOLS:—
   National, Alfred Chalker, master
   Board, Miss Alice Warner, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, November 2010..

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Sculthorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Sculthorpe watermill and Sculthorpe tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Greyhound and Red Lion [Norfolk pubs index]
More about Sculthorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Sculthorpe [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page