1891Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1896 [GENUKI-NFK]
Setchey postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of West Winch (including Setchey) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Setch(ey) [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Setch (or Setchey Magna)

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 488.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SETCH (or SETCHEY MAGNA) is a parish 4 miles south from Lynn, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn, and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich; it is divided from the parish of Wormegay by the river Nar and is on the road from Lynn to Downham. Here is a small chapel erected in 1844 by the late Daniel Gurney esq. J.P.: it is fitted with stalls, and has sittings for 150 persons. The living is a rectory annexed to that of North Runcton and Hardwick, in the gift of Francis Hay Gurney esq. amd held since 1861 by the Rev. William Hay Gurney, who resides at North Runcton. Setch is comprised in the manor of North Runcton. Henry Wilson esq., Dr. Allen, the Lynn Corporation, and John Morton esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is gravel, sand and clay; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 714 acres; rateable value £1,704; amd the population in 1881 was 118.


Here is a PILLAR LETTER BOX. Letters arrive from Lynn at 7.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.45 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Lynn Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, April 2010, links updated December 2010.

1891Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1896 [GENUKI-NFK]
Setchey postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of West Winch (including Setchey) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Setch(ey) [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page