SHELFANGER is a village and parish, situate on a height, 3½ miles north-west from Diss station, and 3 west from Burston station, in the Southern division of the county, Diss hundred and county court district, Guiltcross union, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. All Saints church is an old building, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, square tower containing 5 bells, and curious wooden porch: it was restored in the year 1866, at the expense of the patron and parishioners: in 1876 the east window was filled with stained glass in memory of the late patron, A. Smith, esq. The register dates from the year 1685. The living is a rectory, yearly value tithe rent charge £555 with 35 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of the trustees of the late R. Blakelock Smith esq. of Sheffield, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Clement Ogle Blakelock (formerly Smith) M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The Baptisms and Wesleyans have each a chapel here. Franklin's charity of £20 yearly for bread, and Dade's of £12 yearly , for clothing. The Duke of Norfolk is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is heavy; subsoil clay. The crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and beans. The are is 1,719 acres; rateable value, £2,558; the population in 1881 was 341.
Parish Clerk, George Chinery.
POST OFFICE. George Youells, receiver. Letters received through Diss at 7.40 a.m.; dispatched at 5.40 p.m.; on Sunday at 11.40 a.m. Diss is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
A school was erected in 1865 by Albert Smith esq. and is under Government inspection; Miss Chapman, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 2001; links updated November 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Shelfanger Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Shelfanger village web-site
More on Shelfanger [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page