SHELFANGER is a parish and village, 2½ miles N. of Diss, with 100 houses, 424 souls, and 1,719 acres of land, partly the property of the Duke of Norfolk, who is also the lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £17, and enjoyed by the Rev. T. B. Morris, M.A., who has 30a. of glebe. The tithes are commuted for £543. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower with four bells, and contains an antique font. The Baptists and Methodists have each a chapel here. The poor's land, 3a., left by Roger Dacle, in 1684, and 6a., purchased with £100, left by Sarah Franklin, in 1703, produces £32 per annum.
Wm. R. Anness and Sarah Knights, shopkeepers ;
Edwd. Chaplin and Geo. Wright, carpenters ;
Stimpson Cobb, David Crosby, and Saml. Wright, shoemakers ;
Miss Mary Irwin ;
Solomon Jessup, vict. Cross Keys ;
Jas. Luccock, gent ;
Rev. Thos. B. Morriss[sic], M.A., rector ;
Saml. Rout, vict. Crown ;
Fenn Shuler, wheelwright ;
Rev. Thos. Winter, (Baptist).