1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Shelton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shelton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Shelton

Kelly's directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.489.

[Complete entry. Transcription © Copyright Paul Madgett, January 1999]

SHELTON is a parish and village 5 miles south-east from Forncett station and 12 south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred and union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a structure of red brick with stone dressings consisting of a chancel, nave aisles, south porch and square flint tower: the interior is light and lofty and has been restored and seated with chairs and reading desk and lectern, added at a cost of £200, defrayed by the rector and his friends: at the eastern end are three stained windows, the centre one containing a painting of the Virgin Mary: in the roof of the church are great numbers of bees, which have swarmed here for over 100 years. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Hardwick, joint yearly value £640 including 30 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of F. B. Frank esq. and held since 1881 by the Rev. Charles Blomfield Smith. C. R. Hawkins esq. is the chief landowner; Mrs. Howes, who is lady of the manor, F. Bacon Frank, C. W. Jolly, the trustees of the late Osborn Springfield esq. and the Rev. T. S. Shaw are also landowners. The land is fertile and the soil is heavy; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and beans. The area is 1,292 acres; rateable value, £1,659; the population in 1881 was 169.

______

Letters through Long Stratton, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

A School Board of 5 members for the United District of Shelton & Hardwick was formed in 1874; J. Furness, St. Stephen's chambers, Norwich, clerk to the board.

Board School, formed out of the old National school, for 46 children, average attendance 40, Miss Kate Hill, mistress.

Transcription © Copyright Paul Madgett, January 1999; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Shelton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shelton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page