SHELTON, a parish and village, 12 miles S. by W. of Norwich, and 6 miles N. of Harleston, has 48 houses, 208 inhabitants, and 1,252a. 3r. 7p of land, chiefly the property of Mrs. Catherine Evans, of Norwich, who also owns the Hall, now a farmhousean ancient moated residence, from which a subterraneous passage leads to the church. Edward Holmes, Esq., is lord of the manor. The church is a handsome edifice, dedicated to St. Mary, and was rebuilt by the Skelton family, who were formerly seated here, and to whom are several memorials, as well as a tomb to Sir Robt. Houghton, Knight, with effigies of himself, his son, and three wives. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £8, with that of Hardwick annexed to it, is enjoyed by the Rev. Jeremiah Curtis. The tithes of the two parishes are commuted for £640, and there are 52a. 10p. of glebe. A National school was erected in 1851 for this and the adjoining parish of Hardwick. Two poor widows have a yearly rent of 20s. per annum.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Shelton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shelton [GENUKI-NFK]