1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dunton (& Shereford) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Shereford watermill (South Mill) [Jonathan Neville]
More on Shereford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Shereford

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 489.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SHEREFORD (or SHERRINGFORD ia a parish about 2 miles west from Fakenham station, on the river Wensum, in the Western division of the county, Gallow hundred. Walsingham union, county court district, rural deanery of Burnham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Nicholas is a plain building, and consists of chancel and nave with round tower. The register dates from the year 1721. The living is a rectory, yearly value 300 in the gift of the Marquis Townshend and held since 1874 by the Rev. Ambrose James Johnson M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of and resides at Hempton. The living has been annexed to that of Toftrees, but they will not be held together until the avoidance of one of them. There are two smalll charities. The Marquis Townshend is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is various; subsoil, principally sand. The area is 842 acres; rateable value, 1,069; and the population in 1881 was 86.


Letters through Fakenham, the neareat money order & telegraph office

Board School, erected in 1873 for 52 children, average attendance 32, for the parishes of Dunton-cum-Doughton, Toftrees and Shereford;

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2009; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Dunton (& Shereford) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Shereford watermill (South Mill) [Jonathan Neville]
More on Shereford [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page </