1891 Census index for Upper and Lower Sheringham
1841 Census Names Index for Upper Sheringham [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
Will of Mary SALMON, 1834
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Church of St. Andrew, Lower Sheringham (Methodist) [Simon Knott]
Church of St. Joseph, Lower Sheringham (Catholic) [Simon Knott]
Church of St. Peter, Lower Sheringham [Simon Knott]
Sheringham watermill; postmill; towermill, Upper Sheringham postmill and Upper Sheringham (early) postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Sheringham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site [Poppyland Publishing]
Sheringham Photo Gallery
More on Sheringham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Sheringham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 490.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SHERINGHAM is a parish containing the villages of UPPER amd LOWER SHERINGHAM, about 5 miles west from station, 4 east-north-east frp, Holt and 14 from, North Walsham. in the Northern division of the county, North Erpingham hundred, Erpingham union, Holt county court district, rural deanery of Repps. archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, The surface is undulating and the scenery, richly embellished with wood, in some parts beautifully picturesque. The village is supplied with water brought by pipes to a large reservoir, formed in 1814. In Upper Sheringham is the parish church of All Saints, a handsome building of flint with stone dressings. in the Early and Later English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, with a lofty square embattled tower containing 6 bells, it has a handsome monument to Abbot Upcher esq.; and two memorial windows, one to the Hon. Mrs. Upcher, and the other to Miss Upcher, daugher of H. R. Upcher esq.: here are also a few old brasses and a rare and curious old rood-loft and screen. The register dates from the year 1670. The living is a vicarage, yearly value between 75 and 85, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1862 by the Rev. Lethbridge Edward Charles Noore M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The vicarage house is a modern building on an elevated site in Upper Sheringham, built in 1868 by the present incumbent mostly from grants from the Gally Knight Fund and assistance from Queen Anne's Bounty. Here is a reading room, at Upper Sheringham, opened in 1864. The fuel allotment of 34 acres, is cut by the poor, who also have 19 yearly from charities. LOWER SHERINGHAM is situated on the cliffs about a mile and a quarter from Upper Sheringham. and is a considerable fishing stattion: here are curing houses, and about 150 boats, used in the fishery for herring. cod, skate, whiting, crabs and lobsters, of which great quantities are sent to Norwich and London; about 23 of these boats are large and fitted for deep sea fishing. The cliffs in this neighbourhood are constantly being undermined and large portions of land carried away by the actions of the sea. The coast-guard stationed here cosists of an officer and 3 men. There is also a fishermen's Episcopal chapel capable of holding about 500. There are also chapels of the Old Methodists and Primitive Methodists Association and a reading room for the fishermen. In 1857 the Hon. Mrs. Upcher presented a lifeboat to the parish, but in 1864 a new one fom the National Lifeboat Institution was given by Mis Duncan, of Bath, in mmory of her uncle and father, Philip Berry Duncan and John Shute Duncan esqrs. of Oxford, and a suitable house has been built for its reception: there is also a rocket apparatus. Sheringham Hall, the seat of Henry R. Upcher esq D.S.L., J.P. is a white brick mansion, in a well-wooded park, commanding extensive sea views. The chief landowners are H. R. Upcher esq. who is lord of the manor and T. Cremer esq. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel. The area is 2,181 acres; rateable value, 3,014 7s. 6d.; and the population in 1881 was 1,159.


POST OFFICE, Upper Sheringham.—Mrs. Hannah Lown, receiver. Letters through Cromer, arrive at 9.25 a.m.; dispatched at 1,55 p.m. The nearest money order is at Lower Sheringham & telegraph office at Cromer

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank, Lower Sheringham—Benjamin B. Barcham, receiver. Letters through Cromer, arrive at 9.15 a.,m., dispatched at 2.25 p.m.

Registrar of Births & Deaths for Cromer Sub-District, J. A. Thursby

Coast Guard Station, John Boxall, chief officer

School, Thomas Almond, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Almond, mistress

At Buston is an infant school fo children of both sexes, teacher of which is Miss Adela Stolworthy & the school is used by the infant children of both Sheringham and Buston (Beeston) Regis

CARRIERS TO NORWICH.—Robert Olley, jun. from his house, Lower Sheringham, tues. & fri. returning the following days

Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, December 2007; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census index for Upper and Lower Sheringham
1841 Census Names Index for Upper Sheringham [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
Will of Mary SALMON, 1834
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Church of St. Andrew, Lower Sheringham (Methodist) [Simon Knott]
Church of St. Joseph, Lower Sheringham (Catholic) [Simon Knott]
Church of St. Peter, Lower Sheringham [Simon Knott]
Sheringham watermill; postmill; towermill, Upper Sheringham postmill and Upper Sheringham (early) postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Sheringham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site [Poppyland Publishing]
Sheringham Photo Gallery
More on Sheringham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page