SHIMPLING is a scattered village and parish 3½ miles north-east from Diss, half a mile east from Burston station of the Great Eastern railway and 98½ from London, in the Southern division of the county, Diss hundred and county court district, Depwade Union, rural deanery of Redenhall, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. George is in the Perpendicular style, with a tower containing 4 bells, round at the base with an octagonal top, and surmounted by a small spire of wood: it has a chancel and nave: the rent of one are of land is applied to repair the church porch, which has been rebuilt: the windows retain many remains of stained glass. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a rectory, yearly value £230, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1854 by the Rev. Jeffery Watson Millard M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. Jerom Murch esq. of Cranwells, near Bath, is lord of the manor. The oprincipal landowners are Mr. Charles Chase, of Diss, who owns Shimpling Place and other farms, Henry Green esq. who owns and occupies Shimpling Hall, and Thomas Mann esq. of Thelveton Hall. The soil is heavy; subsoil. clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas and beans. The area is 780 acres; rateable value 1,181; the population in 1881 was 175.
This place is included in the Burston United School Board Distrct, formed in 1874; the children attend the Board school there
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated November 2009.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Burston with Shimpling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shimpling [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page