1891 Census Names Index
1891 Census transcript [Part only ED5 and ED6]
Mitford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1900 (Description only) [Martin Edwards]
Shipdham Market Street postmill, Mill Road postmill, Shipdham early postmill, West End postmill and Rode-Fee postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Shipdham Airfield [Ian Woodward]
Shipdham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Shipdham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information, etc. [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett] Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Shipdham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 815-817

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000]

SHIPDHAM is a large well-built village, with many neat modern residences, extending upwards of a mile in length, and is 5 miles S. by W. of East Dereham. The parish contains 1,769 inhabitants, 431 houses, and 4,514 acres of land. The bishop of Ely, who built a spacious hall here, in the time of Henry III., obtained a charter for a weekly market on Thursday, and on St. Peter's and St. Paul's day; but the former has long been obsolete; and the latter is now a stock fair, held on the 30th June. King's College manor of Caston Hall, H. S. Adlington's manor of Massingham; and W. Brown's Esqrs. of Bonnetts-and-Baileys, extend into the parish: but the principal landowners are W. Birch, Esq., T. T. Clark, Esq., and the Misses Bullock. The Church is a large edifice, with an embattled tower, crowned with a turret, and has six bells. It is neatly pewed, and has several memorials to the Bullock, Deval, Lane, and other families. The benefice is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £27 7s. 6d., and in 1831 at £1,140, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Geo. C. Bailey, M.A. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The FREE SCHOOL, built in 1749, is endowed with a farm of 47a. 2r. 8p., let for £70 a year bequeathed by T. Bullock, Esq., in 1735, for the support of a master, to teach reading, writing, and arithmetic gratis, to all the poor children of the parish. The Town Estate consists of seven tenements, a house and garden, and about 28a. of land in this parish; and a farm of 47a. in Reymerstone, which together produce about £120 per annum. The amount is carried to the churchwardens' accounts, except about £10, which is distributed among the poor. The Fuel allotments, awarded in 1809, comprise 126a. 1r. 30p., let for £120 a year, which is laid out in coals for the poor, who have also £2 5s. yearly from Mowting's charity, and £2 left by Thos. Masters, in 1716.

Post Office at Miss Sarah Mendham's: letters arrive at 5.30 a.m., and are despatched at 7.30 p.m.

[DIRECTORY—]

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000; links updated December 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
1891 Census transcript [Part only ED5 and ED6]
Mitford hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1900 (Description only) [Martin Edwards]
Shipdham Market Street postmill, Shipdham early postmill, Mill Road postmill, West End postmill and Rode-Fee postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Shipdham Airfield [Ian Woodward]
Shipdham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer] More information on Shipdham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information, etc. [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page