SHOTTESHAM ALL SAINTS (or HIGH SHOTTESHAM) is a village and parish 3 miles east from Swainsthorpe station and 6 south from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a flint building, in the Perpendiculkar style, consisting of chancel, nave, tower containing 5 bells and porch. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £564, with 73 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Robert Fellowes esq. and held since 1838 by the Rev. Charles Fellowes M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. A United Free Methodist chapel was erected here in 1879. This parish has £4 a year for the poor left by T. Bransby in 1730: Eliza Bayspool left, in 1711, £3 for schooling six poor children and £4 12s. for the poor of this parish. This parish, together with that of Shottesham St. Mary, has the privilege of sending eight poor people to the East Greenwich Hospital, called the Norfolk Hospital, under the charity of Henry Howard, Earl of Northampton, in the reign of James I. and under a new scheme a hospital is to be established here for 8 poor men, who will each receive 10s. a week, with allowance for washing, light and fuelin default of candidates from Shottesham, vacancies may be filled from Castle Rising and Bungay. Robert Fellowes esq. J.P. and D.L. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is sand and clay: subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 1,597 acres; rateable value, £3,045; the population in 1881 was 379.
POST OFFICE.Henry William Kahler, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive by foot post from Norwich at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Brooke, & telegraph office at Flordon station.
There is a school in the pariash, supported by R. Fellowes esq. D.L. the Rev. C. Fellowes, & a voluntary rate; the school-house, built by Robert Fellowes esq. was opened in 1874; Mrs. Mary Ann White, mistress; Miss Anne Maria Tooke, infants' mistress
CARRIERS TO NORWICH.G. Fennel & Walter Gooch, wed. & sat
1891 Census Names Index
Shotesham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Shottesham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Shottesham All Saints [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Shottesham St. Mary
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page