1891 Census Names Index
Shotesham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ruined church of St. Martin [Simon Knott[
Shottesham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Shottesham St. Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Shottesham All Saints
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Shottesham St. Mary

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.492.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

SHOTTESHAM ST. MARY (or LOW SHOTTESHAM) comprises the parishes of St. Mary, St. Martin and St. Botolph, and is situated 6 miles south from Norwich and 2 east from Swainsthorpe station, in the Southern division of the county, Henstead hundred and union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small flint building, in the Perpendicular style: it consists of chancel, nave, tower and 1 bell: the church was restored and reseated in 1881. The register dates from the year 1687. St. Martin's and St. Botolph's churches have been in ruins for several centuries: their benefices, with the rectory of St. Mary, were consolidated with Shottesham All Saints soon after the Reformation: joint yearly value £564, with 73 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Robert Fellowes esq. and held since 1838 by the Rev. Charles Fellowes M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. The poor share some of the charities left for All Saints, £4 yearly having been left by T. Bransby in 1730, and Eliza Bayspool, in 1711, left 20s. yearly, and Miss A. Fellowes, in 1817, left £50 to be invested in £3 per cent. Stock. Shottesham Park is the beautiful seat of Robert Fellowes esq. J.P. and D.L.; the park comprises about 400 acres, is well-wooded, and extends to the river Tas: the house is a modern structure, built on the site of the ancient hall, which was formerly the seat of the D'Oyley family. Robert Fellowes esq. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is of good mixed description; subsoil, clay and loam. The chief crops are wheat, oats,. barley and turnips. The area is 1,910 acres; rateable valley, £3,680; and the population in 1881 was 316

____

Letters from Norwich, through Shottesham All Saints. Brooke is the nearest money order office, & telegraph office is at Flordon station

The children attend the school at Shottesham All Saints

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, April 2005; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Shotesham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Ruined church of St. Martin [Simon Knott[
Shottesham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Shottesham St. Mary [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Shottesham All Saints
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page