1891Census Name Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
Shouldham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Shouldham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shouldham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Shouldham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 636-7.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February, 2001]

SHOULDHAM is a pleasant village and parish, 5½ miles N.E. of Downham, with 164 houses, 706 souls, and 3,773 acres of land, of which 2,674a. including a rabbit warren, is the property of Sir Thos. Hare, Bart. the lord of the manor ; and the rest belongs to Mrs. Allen, Robt. Cotton, Esq., and a few smaller proprietors. In an old writing this place is called Market Shouldham. Fairs are held on Sep. 19th, and Oct. 11th. Here was anciently a priory for monks of the order of St. Gilbert, founded in the reign of Richard I., by the Earl of Essex. On removing some of the ruins of the priory in 1831, several stone coffins were discovered, and a decayed painted window. To this priory was attached a large grammar school, and a church, standing in 1519. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, contains a beautiful monument to the late Thos. Allen, Esq., bearing a finely executed figure of Faith : the font has recently been restored by the incumbent, the Rev. Wm. M. Allen, M.A. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Shouldham Thorpe, in the gift of Sir Thos. Hare, the impropriator of all the tithes, out of which he pays the curate's stipend, £120. The Wesleyans, Wesleyan Reformers, and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. A parochial school is supported by subscription. The Hall was built 20 years ago by the late Mr. Allen. On Mr. Cotton's estate is a fine chalybeate spring, called Silver Well, which gives rise to a small rivulet which passes through the village. Near this a new spring was discovered about 20 years ago, and both of them possess similar properties to those of Tunbridge Wells. Roman coins and urns have been found near the latter spring. The Fuel Allotment, 95a., was awarded in 1794 ; and the herbage is let for £35. One rood of old Poor's Land is let for 12s. Horticultural Shows are held here annually.

Post Office at Mr. Thos. Fayer's. Letters arrive at 9.33 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February 2001. Links last updated May 2010.

1891Census Name Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
Shouldham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Shouldham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shouldham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page