SHOULDHAM THORPE is a parish and straggling village 4 miles from Watlington station, 5 north-east from Downham Market station and 9 south of Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of the Virgin Mary is a small stone building, in the Norman, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave and open turret with 2 bells. The living is a vicarage, with Shouldham annexed, joint yearly value £292, in the gift of Thomas Leigh Hare esq. the impropriator of all the tithes and held since 1850 by the Rev. William Maxey Allen M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, who officiates at both churches. There are chapels for the Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists and Methodist New Connexion. Here are some brick and tile works. The charities are £30 yearly value, Thomas Leigh Hare esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is rich loam; subsoil, clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, mangolds and turnips. The area is 1,430 acres; rateable value, £1,877; the population in 1881 was 278.
POST OFFICE.- Samuel Dane, receiver. Letters from Downham arrive at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5.35 p.m. & on sundays at 10 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Fincham, & telegraph office, Downham.
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, December 1998; with minor corrections, July 1999; links updated November, 2009.
1891Census Name Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Shouldham Thorpe Fodderston postmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Shouldham Thorpe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shouldham Thorpe [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page