SHOULDHAM THORPE is a straggling village and parish, 5 miles N.E. of Downham, comprising 293 souls, 60 houses, and 1,289a. 2r. of fertile land, mostly the property of Sir Thomas Hare, the lord of the manor ; and the rest belongs to William Bagge, Esq., Mrs. Allen, and a few smaller proprietors. About a mile N. of the village, is the small manor of Fodderston, now called Foston's Gap, formerly a separate parish, belonging to abbot Ely. The Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a nave and a chancel, but the tower fell down in 1724. The living is a curacy, consolidated with that of Shouldham. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Fuel Allotment, 60a. awarded in 1794, is used by the poor for cutting fuel, and the herbage is let for £7.
Marked * are in Foston's Gap. *Alflatt Matthew, corn miller *Banyard James, brick maker
Baxter James, joiner
Bowen Robert, shoemaker
Brackenbury Mrs. Jane
Brackenbury William, Esq
Cork William, shoemaker
Dane Saml. bricklayer & vict. Gate *Flatt Joseph, wheelwright, blacksmith, and vict. Two Brewers Middleton William Miles, Esq.
Watson Jno. beer seller, & shopkpr
Violen William, butcher
Farmers. *Banyard James