1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Kelly's 1937
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Shropham postmill, Mill Farm smockmill and Mill Lane smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Church of St. Peter and Paul [local web-site]
Shropham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shropham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Shropham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p 493

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

SHROPHAM is a parish 10 miles north of Thetford, 5 south-west from Attleborough and 3 north-by-west from Eccles Road station, in the Western division of the county, Wayland union, hundred of Shropham, county court district of Attleborough, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. This village gives name to the hundred, and was formerly a town of some importance. The church of St. Peter is a plain building of flint with stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, square embattled tower and 5 bells; the north aisle was restored in 1867 in accordance with the original design; the east window is partly filled with stained glass. The register dates from the year 1723. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £228, including 45 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich and held since 1850 by the Rev. William Robbins M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The rent of 35A., 1R. 39P. left in trust to the vicar, churchwardens and overseers of the poor, is now carried to the poor rates, and the proceeds (£45. 10s.) of the fuel allotment of 58 acres are distributed annually among the poor in coals. The Hall, in occupation of William Edward Barker esq. is a beautiful modern mansion, in an extensive park. The trustees of the Hemsworth family are lords of the first manor and the trustees of the Great Hospital Norwich, are lords of the other manors; they are also the principal landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,678 acres; rateable value, £3,343; the population in 1881 was 438.

Parish Clerk, George Hunt

____

POST OFFICE. —Charles Dack, receiver. Letters arrive through Thetford at 7.35 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. Harling is the nearest money order office & Wretham the telegraph office.

National School, Mrs. Sarah Dack, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, December 1998; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Kelly's 1937
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Shropham postmill, Mill Farm smockmill and Mill Lane smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Church of St. Peter and Paul [local web-site]
Shropham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shropham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page