SHROPHAM , 5 miles N. by W. of East Harling, is a parish which gives name to this hundred, and comprises 110 dispersed houses, 513 souls, and 2,596 acres of land, lying in the three manors of Breccles-Parva, Pakenhams, and Bradcar Hall. The trustees of the Hemworth family, are lords of the first, and the trustees of the Great Hospital, Norwich, are lords of the other manors, and patrons of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £8 13s. 9d., and in 1831 at £304. The Rev. Wm. Robbins, jun. M.A., the incumbent, built a neat vicarage house in 1851. The Church is a neat building with a square tower and five bells. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. The Fuel Allotment, 58a. 2r. 22p., was awarded in 1801, to all parishioners not occupying above £10 a year. The Town lands, 35a. 1r. 39p. and a cottage, are let for £37 a year, which is carried to the poor rates.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Shropham postmill, Mill Farm smockmill and Mill Lane smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Church of St. Peter and Paul [local web-site]
Shropham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Shropham [GEUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page